Sunday, September 30, 2007

Tim_Chapter 7_I

In chapter 7 we read more about using stories to influence. But the author concentrates on using stories to deal with people who don’t want to be influenced. She talks about people who may have a different view than yours and how to use a story to soften them up. Yes it’s back to feelings and emotions being influenced through story.
I think it comes down to getting your audience all on the same page. I often tell my news students that if they don’t care, why should the viewer? This chapter brings up a lot of difficult situations where people are so steadfast in their views that it is hard to win them over. Simmons says it is about hope. If you can make your listener have hope, then you have made them care about your cause.
I mostly agree with this idea, but there are some topics you just can’t win with everyone. I was surprised Simmons brought up abortion. That is a subject to avoid. I suppose if you were enlisted to convince one side to listen to the other that you could. But listening might be all you accomplish. I imagine that it was similar when talking about slavery before the civil war. For me, sure I have an opinion, but I’d rather stay out of the argument.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At September 30, 2007 at 5:41 PM, Blogger Chad said...

Abortion, capital punishment, the war in Iraq -- they're all sensitive issues to many groups.

If I understand Simmons right, her advice is to couch sensitive points very carefully in story, and to avoid hammering people with too many doom-and-gloom facts.

It's why Michael Moore will never influence me as strongly as, say, a speaker at the California TED Talks.

Moore uses facts, but he cakes them with emotion, or at least with the emotion he thinks we should respond with.

The TED Talks are lucid, lean presentations given by bright people. A real pleasure to watch, and I never feel like I'm being talked at.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home