Monday, October 29, 2007

Josh_11_Q

I'm intrigued by Simmons' comments on a "second style of perception," Story Thinking. As a student of a digital storytelling program I would like to say that I regularly use this skill. I might also consider the possibility that I was drawn to the program two years ago because I regularly think in this manner. However, Simmons say on page 257, "Unless you are an artist, critical thinking will still be your primary mode of thinking."

I don't necessarily consider myself an artist; certainly not in the traditional sense. Am I confined to critical thinking?

What do you all think? Are we story thinkers or are we, like the CEOs and execs Simmons targets, crippled by critical thought?

Labels:

1 Comments:

At October 29, 2007 at 1:03 PM, Blogger Video Storyteller said...

An editor friend of mine at NBC says storytelling is a craft and when it works well then it is art. Art happens when you have honed your craft and you allow it to happen.
So that kind of fits. If you don't think of yourself as an artist, try considering yourself a craftsman.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home