Monday, October 8, 2007

Tim_8_I

Chapter 8 gets to listening, something I have been trying to do more of lately. It is reminiscent of the typical communications model, we have a sender, but also a receiver. Many times I find myself thinking about something other than what is being said. I try to be an active listener and I can tell when I am successful, I can recall more of what was said to me.
I can also identify with what the author calls story stoppers. I am going along with a story weaving the details with a lesson about to be revealed when the hand goes up and a question interrupts my process. I want to be sure my audience is understanding what I am saying, but one inquirer can distract the rest of the room too.
I was concerned at the start of the chapter when the author writes about throwing away old stories to make room for new ones. She goes back to this point near the end of the chapter to clarify that we should keep the old stories and use them as a foundation for new ones.
Simmons also points out an interesting listening idea. If you listen long enough, the person will get to what they want you to hear whether they know it or not. They open up once they know you are listening.
I see how our class is closer after listening to each other’s stories every Tuesday. We hear stories they wont tell their own family, ones that make us think about our own lives, ponder what we would have done and even laugh out loud.
I appreciate when someone listens to my story, so I try to return that attitude and listen actively to theirs.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At October 8, 2007 at 3:25 PM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

I think they open up when they know you care. That's probably why your audiences like you so much Tim... it shows that you care.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home