Monday, October 1, 2007

Self talk

Liz 7: Q

Which one are you? What is the big picture story you tell yourself?

a. Cynic b. resentful c. apathetic d. jealous e. hopeless f. greedy

Don’t know why, I’ve built patterns of “hopeless” into a running sound track in my self talk. Even though, I’ve paid for every dime of my schooling by working. My perception is when I succeed, the power to effect positive change still seems to elude me. Perhaps it’s because I look too often at temporal values, things that don’t really matter. Maybe by broadening my perspective I could see that being content with small influence is enough. The Inner Game of Tennis was great in helping me rewire some of these erroneous self talk loops. Maybe it’s not all about being an influencer but being influenced at times. So which one are you?

Labels:

3 Comments:

At October 1, 2007 at 2:47 PM, Blogger irantoni said...

You made a very good point here...

I think as soon as we learn something we are influenced. if we want to learn we open ourselves to influence. That's why being influenced is as important as influencing others....I think the process of teaching and learning is even a loop of influence: by being influenced you have an influence on the one that influences you. For one: you enforce your teacher's attitude if you accept fully and for two: Whatever you learn maybe won't be the exact way how your teacher did it: you learn it one way and that makes you able to alter it, if necessary. Being "influenced" you are able to find knicks and cuffs and work on them (or just accept them...it's your choice)

 
At October 1, 2007 at 2:48 PM, Blogger irantoni said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At October 1, 2007 at 8:46 PM, Blogger Poker Stroker said...

Yeah I think deep down all of us struggle with one if not all of those areas. I deal with cynisim in my expirences. I am always questioning the motivations. However, stories are a way to truly bridge these gaps.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home