Tuesday, September 25, 2007

John B_Chapter 6_I

Just a little side note, I really liked the idea of resistance always having a story. My blog on the other hand is focusing in on the importance of developing connections with people before you need to influence them. I think all of us can agree that we live in a "who you know not what you can do" society. Knowing this, it is kind of dissapointing to think that we doing things to only benifit ourselves. Not wanting to sound like a jerk because I am guity of it too, but Brian's blog is a perfect example of what i'm talking about. He keeps on jumping in on people's projects so he can benefit from the project itself (in whatever way it will benefit him) and from the people that he's associating with. Brian has some great skills, but would he put them to use if he knew there would be zero benefit? now that I'm thinking about it more I can't remember the last time I did something without thinking about how I would gain from it.

Labels:

6 Comments:

At September 25, 2007 at 2:30 PM, Blogger Brian Handler said...

Well sometimes the benefit isn't realized till much later.

In my case my Vita will hold every little thing I've ever done ever.

"8:30am, brushed teeth 'academically'"

But one example could be my lighting class. I taught it solely because this school didn't have one and it drove me f'in nuts. I didn't get credit for it, I didn't get paid for it, and actually it was a distraction....but now I'm a better DP that I had ever been before. I didn't know that going in but I assumed I'd get better by teaching.

 
At September 25, 2007 at 3:36 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

One thing I found out teaching last year is that you teach yourself and become better at what you do. To teach you must believe what your are doing is right or your students won't believe you know your teaching. This especially becomes difficult when you start to teach subjects that are on the gray lines. Buildings for example: does this look right, what do you think? Hard to do but if you can and students respect you for it, you really mastered your subject of study.

 
At September 25, 2007 at 4:18 PM, Blogger irantoni said...

I think one problem is that you always benefit somehow when you give....sometimes more and sometimes less!

 
At September 25, 2007 at 4:57 PM, Blogger Joshua said...

I agree with Behrle on this one; granted I understand the stance given on teaching for personal gain.

The sad fact of the matter is that our nation, always has been, or at least has become predominantly controlled by the "good ole' boy (or girl) system." In many cases it really comes down to who you know, not what you know.

Case in point: I know of a certain associate director of athletics at a nondescript mid-Western university who received his/her job from a good ole' boy/girl and has assumed the role of good ole' boy/girl, handing out jobs to various individuals. Now they all sit around together worrying about why their PDA won't update. Seriously, it is painful to learn how little really goes on in the upper levels of collegiate athletic administration.

 
At September 25, 2007 at 5:22 PM, Blogger kingfish said...

OK, depending on how psychological/sociological you want to get... you could say that everyone who does something does it because it benefits them. You could even argue that someone like Mother Theresa did what she did because of some benefit, either in this life or the next... Or maybe that people just want that "I did something great" feeling. That's a benefit too.

Most things are mutually beneficial. The only bad deals are jerks that use you for what you can give them, promise you something and then renege on the promise.

 
At September 27, 2007 at 2:34 PM, Blogger BP said...

I think developing connections with people before influencing them is important, especially for "big" decisions.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home