Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Brian_7_I

I felt really good about some of the points she raised in this chapter. She put down some ideas that jive really closely to my world view.

In the "truly evil" segment, she points out that people are easy to put into a box and villify. But as soon as you view them as a [gasp!] fellow human beings, you start to realize that they aren't that bad.

I also loved the "think positive" aspect of this chapter.

I really enjoyed this chapter more than some of the earlier ones. I think she hit this one out of the ballpark.

Labels:

5 Comments:

At October 2, 2007 at 12:39 PM, Blogger Martin Ryder said...

This chapter was a lot better. It seemed more focused.

 
At October 2, 2007 at 12:56 PM, Blogger Luke said...

I agree that this chapter was a lot better than previous, but I didn't like that part that you quoted. She takes her time tearing down the boxes we put people in only to go back to building them herself and saying it's ok because 10% of the population is evil. I don't think so.

 
At October 2, 2007 at 1:03 PM, Blogger BP said...

I am a big believer in the "think positive" aspect. Whether you "think positive" or not, I think it's important to act like you do in situations in order to appear as the hero of a situation.

 
At October 2, 2007 at 6:10 PM, Blogger Erik Crosier said...

I also liked the "think positive" aspect, but I'm not sure how well it applies to storytelling. It certainly applies to life... I think that positive thinking can have amazing results. But I'm not sure that stories should always be sugar coated or focus so much on the good over the evil.

 
At October 2, 2007 at 7:09 PM, Blogger kingfish said...

A good example--for me anyway--is the news. There are millions of stories available, but as the saying goes, "if it bleeds, it leads." There are numerous stories that can be uplifting, and inspiring.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home