Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Erik_11_I

Simmons pulls back in this chapter and sort of looks at the text as a whole... and on her philosophy as a whole. That is, she talks about her whole idea of the power of storytelling. That in mind, I'd also like to look at it as a whole. Throughout the book, I was struck by HOW business-oriented this book was. Of course, this was the intent of the text, but it consistently struck me as odd and amusing how Simmons was using storytelling (one of the most natural and pure ways in which humans interact) as almost a business currency. I thought this book felt like one of those business networking/motivational type texts... think: "How to Win Friends and Influence People." To a certain degree, I thought that Simmons was dirtying the concept of storytelling. Using it as a tool (and strictly as a tool) seems somehow wrong.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At October 30, 2007 at 1:26 PM, Blogger BP said...

Although it may seem wrong, I think it's true.

When we communicate with somebody (for personal or business reasons), we are telling a story.

 
At October 30, 2007 at 4:33 PM, Blogger JessieAnn said...

Do you think that maybe by including so mnay stories of her own in the book Simmons might be attempting to make her use of storytelling less "dirty"? I get what you're saying, I'm just not sure how she could have corrected the problem.

 
At November 6, 2007 at 4:36 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Didn't the movie Boiling Point dirty the trust of brokers? Business dirties a lot of things, government, the environment, childhood innocences.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home