Monday, October 29, 2007

Sarah_11_I

So perhaps I was naive in my thinking that the final chapter would bring it all together. I find it ironic that Simmons closes with “Story thinking is subjective and sensory; it follows strong emotions and is unpredictable… Control chases stories away….” Does anyone else find it ironic that her book teaches how to tell a story, yet closes with “storytelling is unpredictable…” Anyway, small rant. Overall, I think our class has grown a lot since we first started telling stories. I don’t know if it is because of Simmons’ book, or because we learned from each other. Either way, we have grown. I enjoyed hearing everyone’s stories each week- what are we going to do the rest of the semester!?!?!

Labels:

3 Comments:

At October 30, 2007 at 12:23 PM, Blogger Sarah Jones said...

I think we've grown as a whole as well. I'm not sure if it's due to the book though. I think mostly we're just getting practice in storytelling (practice makes perfect) and we're getting examples from each other in stories that we find successful or unsuccessful. Maybe the book has helped give us some insight. I don't know.

 
At October 30, 2007 at 1:04 PM, Blogger Erik Crosier said...

Yes, I also think that Simmons sort of tried to back off with the last chapter... it was almost like a disclaimer or sorts. "So I've taught you about the almighty story... but it might not work for you."

 
At October 30, 2007 at 1:50 PM, Blogger Brian Handler said...

I don't know why we don't go back to telling longer-form stories for the rest of the semester. Book is done and in-class work is basically limited to group status reports.

Who thinks we should go back to telling whatever stories we feel without constraints?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home