Saturday, September 1, 2007

Brian_3_I

Don't get me wrong. I really enjoy reading the stories in this book, but I have reached the point where I realize I'm being preached at. Ms. Simmons is certainly a good storyteller herself, but I think she has become a story evangelist.
This book is still an interesting read, but I find I'm no longer involved in the stories. It's beginning to sound like a story info-mercial from Ron Popeil:
"Try the new and improved Story 2007. It will solve all your personal problems, get you a better job, and bring loved ones back from the grave!"
Stories are great, but it seems like Simmons is suggesting that there is no other way to solve the problem at hand but to tell a story. For instance, when the CEO told the story of the firemen he told the story, and then had to spend just as much time explaining the story, when perhaps the explanation itself would have sufficed.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At September 3, 2007 at 4:12 PM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

Hey, Brian, Simmons doesn't lay into "cynics" like you (smirk)until Chap 7. While I agree that storytelling is not the medical panacea to all that ails us her exuberance to promote storytelling as an alternative method of communication is relevant. It has amazing disarming attributes. However, I do not have the pocket version of stories to pull out in case of my next emergency persuasion moment either.

 
At September 4, 2007 at 12:44 AM, Blogger Erik Crosier said...

yeah, in some ways it has that sort of 'self-help' feeling to it... almost like an infomercial. But I think that a lot of the points are valid. I think that 'story' is somehow elevated and yet sort of hard to define according to the book.

 
At September 4, 2007 at 3:22 PM, Blogger Brian Handler said...

short but sweet...you hit the nail on the head.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home