Monday, August 27, 2007

Sam_1&2_I

On page 4 it mentioned there are six questions including:1. Who I Am Stories, 2. Why I Am Here Stories, 3. The Vision Stories, 4. Teaching Stories, 5. Values-in-Action Stories, and 6. I Know What You Are Thinking Stories.

Here I want to share a bit of my personal experience about the first "Who I Am," as a confusing issue of Taiwanese nationality .

Through my high school,1993-1999, students in Taiwan need to memorize all the geographic details about China. During that period I think Taiwan have a great connection with China, even I know politically we are separated.

When I was in army service about four years ago, I found it is ridiculous that the imaginative enemy for the Force of Taiwan (R.O.C.) is CHINA. And all the simulations is about defending China force to land on Taiwan.

I myself was born in Taiwan, I speak fluent Chinese and I am proficient in Taiwanese; my parents was born in Taiwan, they speak fluent Chinese and Taiwanese; my grandparents was born in Fujian Province, China, they speak fluent Taiwanese and are proficiently in Chinese. People live in Fujian Province speak Min Nan (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Min_Nan), so called Hoklo (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoklo_people). Many Taiwanese came to Taiwan from Fujian Province for decades or maybe a century and they speaks Min Nan.

As years go by, the ones born in Taiwan think they're speaking Taiwanese, but in fact, they're speaking Min Nan, or something just like Min Nan. Min Nan itself still has disputation about being a language or a dialect by far.

More later...

Labels:

3 Comments:

At August 27, 2007 at 5:43 PM, Blogger irantoni said...

INTERESTING! ....it shows how fast "enemies" change! Stories of separation vs stories of Unity. Elements of a culture that are also part of another but "sold" as different....I am excited to hear more about that!

P.S.: I know it is a different issue but for Germans national identity is a pretty difficult thing, too.....

 
At August 27, 2007 at 6:23 PM, Blogger Martin Ryder said...

Yeah, sometimes it can be difficult to accept the official line. "Enemies" don't always look like enemies, especially when you take the time to get to know some of them.

I can't talk about something like this without thinking about 1984 and the state of perpetual war with changing sides detailed within.

 
At August 27, 2007 at 10:23 PM, Blogger Chad said...

Thanks Sam. I'll answer Question 2, Why I am Here, in response.

I came to Ball State last August after working at a daily newspaper in northeast Ohio for three years. There I covered law, government, arts and entertainment in Greater Cleveland.

But I wanted a change. I saw that newspapers were slowly going the way of the Dodo and thought a nice digital media degree would suit me well.

Ball State was the best choice for me because of its experimental Digital Storytelling program, a good match for flighty types.

So far the program has provided me all the freedom I've wanted to pursue research in Irish storytelling, a rich yet unexplored topic on the American side of the Atlantic.

I may or may not go back into mass media. Thanks to some of the faculty, I'm now nursing ideas of a Ph.D.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home