Monday, August 27, 2007

ErikCrosier_1and2_I

There has always been a way of thinking that there are only a certain number of stories that can be told... and an infinite way of interpreting these basic core stories. This all comes down to basic mythological structure. Look at the works of Joseph Campbell (or interpretations of Campbell's works by Christopher Vogler) for evidence that basic story ideas and character archetypes have always been around.

But I don't think that people should get into the mindset that there are only X amount of stories that can be told.

Yes, there are certain repeating patterns. But to say that there are only a few basic types is a bit absurd. Just because a certain story might fit into a certain pattern does not mean that it is inherently 'unoriginal.'

Therefore I think that this boils down to a repeating problem... categorizing something as visceral as storytelling.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At August 27, 2007 at 6:14 PM, Blogger Martin Ryder said...

That makes sense. I think I'm just exhibiting the somewhat American trait of refusing to accept that I can't do something. "Dangit, if I put my mind to it and I work hard enough, I should be able to do anything I want!" That kind of thing. Sort of the American Idol Syndrome.

 
At August 27, 2007 at 10:16 PM, Blogger Chad said...

In reference to Erik's comment, I suppose people who believe there is a finite number of stories to be told have the word "story" confused with the word "theme."

I'll buy the idea there are a number of timeless themes, but stories are in virtually infinite store.

But Simmons has to make some framework in order to convey her argument. A persuasive author, especially of this kind of book, must have her homework done.

Without that fairly reductive list of "The Six Stories, etc.," it might be harder to believe her.

So the theoretical construct also serves as a rhetorical safety net, here.

 
At August 28, 2007 at 2:55 PM, Blogger kingfish said...

So, here's a question... Has anyone seen the movie "Hoodwinked?"
It is a cartoon that came out some time in the last year or so. It tells the story of "little red riding hood" from the different perspectives of the characters involved.
I haven't seen it recently, but it would be interesting to debate if that is ONE story, THREE different stories, or multiple stories with single or multiple themes!
Anyone???

 

Post a Comment

<< Home