Sunday, September 23, 2007

Brian_6_I

Apparently I help people too much and apparently that's a bad thing. Dr. Joe is on a mission to get me to say 'no' to things and I don't much care for it. Ok, sure I do things so much that I don't do as good as a job on other things had I been focused on them. So what, I'm 23 and I feel the most important thing I can do is network and have people find me useful. I'm pretty afraid that I'll end up not getting the job I want because people won't think I'm useful.

I still get everything done, it just takes longer. I get burnt out by one thing and then it takes tremendous inspiration to get me moving along to the next job. This is where Doc Joe's 'just say no' campaign comes into play. Let me list some of the crap (i mean that nicely...not like evil johnny) I've been doing these last two 1/2 semesters.

National Road dp/producer (ongoing...forever), DS website redesign manager (gently screwed), biotown production assistant (done), subcommittee on dept diversity (done, i guess), LEED touchscreen project preproduction...lots (no $/time, passed on), usability survey on CICS blog system (done, may direct thesis), instructor of record of #5 television school's only f'in lighting course (grade finals, done), Letterman Building - aka moving everyone's shit twice (done, ha), Bullpen setup (done until Martin's survey makes it to Dr Joe / Chesebro), apparent cohort drinking organizer (never gonna stop me now, baby), and Dr. Al's personal PDA fixer (done forever!)

Ok, long list...and I'm quite sure I'm missing something...oh that's right...classes (among other things, I'm sure)

Of all this all I had to do was classes/national road/biotown/cics ... but I said yes to the rest or forced myself upon the project. WHY? Why would someone who complains and bitches about everything do this...because it makes me better at what I do and networks me appropriately. Am I calling out for some credit on this stuff? No! If you must give what i'm doing right now, perhaps refer to it as 'signaling value'. Actually I'm rather humble; the aww shucks Midwest mentality is deep rooted.

(the point)

In chapter 6 Simmons tells the story of one of her participant's father. I guess he made eggnog and would deliver it to the sherrif and mayor's office first as a signifier of respect. Much later when this person's father needed help from these guys to lay the smack down on some scabs, they were much obliged.

It was the little things this man did to help in the long run. I have no damn clue how folks here at BSU will help me in the future but I bet they do. I'm sure they'll help all of us in some way. I just want to leave a mark that says I have a go get 'em attitude, a wide skill set, and a sensitive personality.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At September 24, 2007 at 8:05 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

No need to worry Brian. I have the same problem. The work will all pay off in the end. The skills you gain from running so many projects will allow to you manage a medium sized production team like its as easy as drinking a beer. Just watch the stress levels and make sure you play as hard as you work. Also, I finally got a idea for a vitural building tour if you ever want to hear it.

 
At September 25, 2007 at 5:16 PM, Blogger Martin Ryder said...

Just keep saying yes. For instance, I may need help with a project I'm doing with the Geology Department. You wouldn't want to be useless, would you? No. That's a good Brian.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home