Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Erik_5_I

A person's wants are a story in their own right...

Even though people's wants are all basically the same, the variations make for stories of their own. If a person wants money (like everyone) they might tell you that it is because they have a child in the hospital and they are trying to pay for the medical expenses. Then they might further tell you about how the child ended up in the hospital in the first place. If a person wanted a car, they might tell you that they wanted it to replace a crappy car they already have. Then, they'd go on to describe this crappy car and give you a plethora of stories about the car.

The wants, then, trigger stories.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At September 18, 2007 at 3:46 PM, Blogger Brian Handler said...

Or it's my crackhead neighbor that knocks on my door wanting $15 for her 'prescription' with a nice convincing story that she's dying.

I ask, 'so...you were able to get $5 already?'

Yeah, she'd respond, how'd you know.

Well you are typically looking for 20 for your 'rocks' and so I just made an assumption. Thanks for the story though...don't ever knock on my door again.

Section-8 apts can eat it.

 
At September 20, 2007 at 6:47 PM, Blogger Chad said...

I reckon wants trigger stories, and the stories tend to orbit around needs.

So you blow a bunch of cash on a plasma screen television. Now you want TiVo to complement it.

Then someone asks: "Why did you get TiVo?"

You manufacture this story: "I 'needed' TiVo because I just got this great TV."

Of course you didn't "need" TiVo. But the story makes you more believeable.

Maybe the desire to be believed is stronger, or at least more widespread, than the desire for money.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home