Friday, September 7, 2007

Chad_4_Q

In Chapter 4 we get an exhaustive outline of how nonverbal language affects persuasive storytelling.

On Tuesday in class I laughed a lot, said "aww" a time or two and felt pangs of regret or embarrassment during our storytelling session. But it's Jeff's story that sticks in my memory even now, four days later.

I remember the nasty angle at which his leg turned during the accident, and the lapses in and out of consciousness as doctors worked to fix him. Jeff used his eyes, fingertips and legs -- even his tongue -- to show us exactly where he was at all times.

I remember broad details of other people's stories, but none so clear as Jeff's, which we heard a significant portion of without sound.

It's easy to knock this book. Much of it comes across repetitive and preachy. But doesn't Simmons seem to be making all the right claims? Does anyone else remember Jeff's story as clearly as I do?

In your heart of hearts, do you believe words are some of the least significant ingredients of a good story?

Labels:

3 Comments:

At September 10, 2007 at 11:45 AM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

awesome question. But consider, if we didn't know what Jeff's story was by means of ASL first would the gestures have had the same impact? The other stories that "stuck" allowed me to paint my own picture, overweight gymnast toppling to the ground, poking dead animals, angry cat mobs...depending on the persons ability to use words to create a picture and peoples ability to be imaginative in their minds determines the outcome of a words usefulness. A single word can create a significant reaction in someones soul "Apartheid" for example so it's really peoples interactions with the word that give it power. Marcelle Marceau! yes, but words too. I weigh in with visual storytelling for longevity, interaction for impact, and words having an integral part of the story.

 
At September 10, 2007 at 3:30 PM, Blogger Chad said...

I suppose the ASL prologue to Jeff's story gave me a kind of prompt to remember the visual stuff.

Tangent: I can read about physical violence with no trouble, but it's hard for me to watch portrayals of physical violence in film.

 
At September 10, 2007 at 6:30 PM, Blogger Sarah Jones said...

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. I think that the personality behind the story is much more important than the words contained in a story. Don't get me wrong, I think the words are significant, but they're only words without personality to drive them forward. I remember Jeff's story, yes. The visual is what made me remember it. Without that, I more than likely would have forgotten. John's story was memorable as well, and I think this was because he was so in to it and used his body to visually entice us. Martin's story was memorable as well because he got up, put on his uniform, and even slightly acted out some of the story. These are the stories I remember most. Words are great, but there needs to be something attached.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home