Tuesday, September 4, 2007

John B_Chapter 3_I

Alright, I get it. If anything this was some "smart" writing, but of course being the argumentative type I do feel the need to think of something against it. Here's my best shot. After reading this chapter, instead of coming to blog immediately I decided to turn on my video games and let it sink in. That's when it hit me. I understand that Simmon's believes that facts don't impact a person as much as a story will, that's all fine and dandy. But when you play a new videogame, it is just pumping out fact after fact at you. For example, when you kill a boss in a game, it will give you a fact like "congrats you killed so and so". Well then i guess you could argue back and say that it's the videogame's story that compels the player, and the facts move you along in the storyline blah blah blah.

weak

Labels:

4 Comments:

At September 4, 2007 at 12:51 PM, Blogger BP said...

"...when you kill a boss in a game..." preludes "...congrats you killed so and so..."

I think that killing the boss in the game is the story that backs up the facts. The act of playing the game itself is the act of storytelling. Playing the game advances the story for the user.

 
At September 4, 2007 at 1:00 PM, Blogger Johnny B said...

I'm looking at it opposite of what you're saying. I feel that killing the boss in the game is the fact that backs up the story.

 
At September 4, 2007 at 1:57 PM, Blogger Martin Ryder said...

Look at it this way, John. When you kill a boss in a video game, you interpret that as a good thing. You've accomplished something good.

However, when other people look at it, they see a bad thing. They think that you've just been trained to murder your peers.

That's why presenting mere facts is not always enough.

 
At September 5, 2007 at 1:39 PM, Blogger John "Vince" Martin said...

This reminds me of a saying.

"Grand Theft Auto taught me how to get my money back from a hooker!"

There are very few stories out there in Video Games. I am guessing that is why I am leaning toward Game Design and Story Design for games for a career.

Here I come Blizzard!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home