Monday, September 3, 2007

Jessie_3_Q

So let's talk for a minute about cynics. Historically cynics were a group of philosophers in ancient Greece who believed that extolling the virtue of one's self was the only way to achieve happiness and enlightenment. The rest of society frequently referred to them as Dogs because of the way they lived. They rejected all forms of social niceties, up to and including personal hygiene, lovely. They abandoned all ties to family, society and country. They gave up all forms of pleasurable pursuit as they were considered to be distractions from personal virtue. They were also said to have been suspicious, untrusting people who mostly tried to get their point across by mocking the human condition. Needless to say they weren't very popular.

I have a hard time dealing with cynics. I'm kind of the anti-cynic. By nature I'm pretty trusting, I'm fairly respectful of authority figures, I like to listen to what others have to say and I just like people in general. I don't get cynics and I'm pretty sure they don't get me either. I tend to think that they're cowards and they probably think I'm an idiot.

As I'm reading this book, especially the "10 Situations," I recognize myself in the "good" audiences, the ones that react to stories in a positive manner, who see the point of the story and want to alter their behaviors, who trust the person telling them the story. Really though, I have to confess that I am completely terrified of the day I walk into a room full of cynics and have to tell them a story. One or two cynics in a room I can handle. When I was an instructor in the leadership program last year I had to deal with a few students who just wouldn't let the walls down long enough for me to get through. I had some leverage because I controlled part of their grade. But what do you do when you don't have that? Have any of you had to deal with groups that just won't listen to what you have to say? What do you do to combat that?

Labels:

5 Comments:

At September 3, 2007 at 11:18 PM, Blogger kingfish said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At September 3, 2007 at 11:20 PM, Blogger kingfish said...

Hey Jessie. I have already been labled a cynic, so I'll address your question!

I think you would do well to tell a "pre-story" story. One specifically designed to break down the cynical wall, and then the "story proper" to finish the job.

Thinking about the earlier chapters, I would say that a story that tells "who you are" might be a good "pre story." You would be telling them "I am someone who, (for example,) doesn't take myself too seriously, but who does have some important information that you might want to listen to."

Just a thought!

 
At September 4, 2007 at 12:13 AM, Blogger JessieAnn said...

Hey Brian, for the record, it was all those other cynics I was talking about.
;)

 
At September 4, 2007 at 7:21 AM, Blogger Video Storyteller said...

Yes, building trust sounds like a good way to start off with the cynics.
I also think about the cycnics who are hard to convince when the evidence is think. There are people who don't believe unless they see it for themselves. I think they are cynics to an extent as well. So maybe if you can figure out a way to get people to see for themselves, maybe they will listen to you.
IT may or may not work.
There are still people who think we didn't land on the moon, that it was all a Hollywood soundstage. Maybe that's taking the title of cynic too far?

 
At September 4, 2007 at 2:21 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Simmons makes it seem that you can do anything in a story. Rose magically appear, everyone listens, understands, and hugs their neighbor.
Storytelling is one tool in a set of tools that are used in effective communication. For those that are not willing to listen, your storytelling will not go very far.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home