Monday, September 3, 2007

Luke_3_I

Last year in Dr. Joe's 690, we all looked at our Meyer's Briggs typology. I'm an ENTP. Middle of the road on ENT. Very well pronounced P. I'm a "P" to a fault. It's difficult to focus on any one thing because I'm interested in so much. I have problems with attention span on a large level.

While reading Chapter 3 I noticed Simmons using societal issues as examples of story and fact. Simmons also alludes to each and every one of us telling ourselves stories we believe in(or don't believe in) to uphold or oppose major societal issues. Because these are such big issues and require so much attention in a person's life I'd like to refer to these as macro-stories.

I believe that there are only so many macro-stories that one can commit themselves to before personal effectiveness is compromised. We have a macro-story attention span. In order to preserve those stories most important to us there comes a point where we must reject other stories as truth or priority. This preserves our effectiveness toward a chosen societal issue.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At September 4, 2007 at 12:45 AM, Blogger Erik Crosier said...

What do you mean by effectiveness being compromised?

I agree on the societal issues... see my post.

 
At September 4, 2007 at 3:17 PM, Blogger Joshua said...

Do you mean to say that if we latch on to every bleeding heart story we will be spread so thin that nothing gets accomplished? If so, I agree. Concentrate on a couple things that matter a great deal.

But I don't necessarily think that's the point of this chapter for Simmons. I think she's trying to illustrate the value of story, not talk us into agreeing with everything.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home