Monday, September 3, 2007

Sam_3_Q


When I traveled to Lake Michigan last weekend with other 29 international students and Joel Lieway. I brought my "Story Factor" with me. I tried to finished the 3rd chapter night before we went to the lake. The weather is good, the beach is fun. Later, during the lunch, I witnessed an American friend in our groups trying to drown bees. Yes, the bees are greedy about our food and our drink, especially the magenta ones. But I don't see a right for him to drown the bees. However, I didn't know what to say. I kept silence and left the scene. The 3 chapter of story factors did not help me to stop him. He finally stopped by more and more bigger bees gathering around him, and he started feel scared. I didn't come out with anything, like a story, at the spot to stop him. Is anyone who have a better idea to use a story to stop him? Or just wait for the fact, the bigger bees coming?

Labels:

4 Comments:

At September 3, 2007 at 8:03 PM, Blogger Chad said...

Here are the facts in this situation: a man is wantonly drowning bees; he is vacationing in an attractive location.

The values in this situation seem to be cruelty -- in the death of the animals; and relaxation -- in the reason for spending a weekend at Lake Michigan.

So I suppose my persuasive story in this instance would couch the cruelty in the relative calm and peace of the lake. Combining these two unlike elements might cause the man to question exactly why he's killing the bees instead of trying a less aggressive solution.

Something like this two-sentence story: There was a man who traveled a great distance to get away from his regular, stressful environment, but then he tried to control the new place to which he had traveled. He returned home more stressed and upset than when he left.

 
At September 3, 2007 at 9:18 PM, Blogger Martin Ryder said...

I would just hit him. Storytelling with fists, you know?

 
At September 3, 2007 at 11:25 PM, Blogger kingfish said...

At September 3, 2007 9:18 PM, Martin Ryder said...
I would just hit him. Storytelling with fists, you know?

Then the story would have a moral. You could tell him: "Violence begets violence."

 
At September 4, 2007 at 12:22 PM, Blogger BP said...

I think the storytelling in this context would come into play when you would tell of a your friend a story about somebody else getting stung by bees.

More specifically, I would tell a story about a similar situation that you have witnessed in the past.

I think first-person narratives about experiences hold a lot of clout when combined with facts.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home