Monday, September 17, 2007

Kyle_5_I

Its ironic that this chapter talks about how stories can be memory devices. Its true that stories can bring back memories of our own personal expirences. However, the trouble I have with this is that this requires the storyteller to have a good memory. They need to have the memory to relate stories to their current situation on the fly in an instant. Many times when we are in situations that might benifit from a story it can become difficult to remember a story that can work for that purpose. We rely on memory to provide impact to our stories yet we need our memory to recall the stories to tell. The memory in this case is serving two masters. We could spend a who class time on talking about the memory's role in our storytelling lives.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At September 18, 2007 at 12:35 PM, Blogger BP said...

I think this is the basis of a conversation. Person A tells a story. Person B relates to Person A by telling a story of their own experience related to the story of Person A. And so on.

 
At September 18, 2007 at 1:38 PM, Blogger Tonya said...

I'm a BELIEVER! Want me to remembeer what you said...stick it in a story...that I can relate too. The key is that I must be able to relate to it. Stories help you to visualize concepts. Like they say seeing is believing. Bare facts are hard to visualize. It's just as simple as that.

 
At September 18, 2007 at 5:19 PM, Blogger kingfish said...

This just reminded me of something that I find very disappointing.
Sometimes you hear a story about how a person "made it big" in the industry, or something like that. I remember one story, it's Dizzy Gillespie's story of how he started playing a trumpet with the bell angled up.

Then you find out that the story is completely fabricated just "to have a good story to tell."

The worst part is that biographers pick up those stories and relate them as gospel, and then the original facts are lost to time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home