Monday, September 17, 2007

Sarah_5_I

I liked the idea Simmons raised about our lack of real human contact in today's technological world. Chad sort of touched on this in his post as well. I think this section was absolutely necessary to point out to a business-oriented audience (as well as to the many who spend way too much time text messaging, emailing, and IMing their friends and colleagues rather than simply having face to face contact). Of course technology makes business communication more quick and efficient, but what gets lost in the process? As a customer in the world of business, I hate automated customer service lines, online surveys where I can win something with my receipt code, and mass mail (email or traditional), just to name a few things. These things don't make me feel valued and don't make me want to buy anything. Now I'm not asking to be bombarded by people like when you walk into store and 20 people ask if they can help you. There has to be a happy medium. Can we come to a compromise with technology and real human contact?

Labels:

3 Comments:

At September 17, 2007 at 12:30 PM, Blogger liz said...

this week I felt "valued". I had served behind the scenes to organize a conference for two 18 year old speakers. 2,000 + teens & parents attended. But, the speakers gave me a handwritten thank you note, big hugs, and when I was leaving ran across an entire field to hug me one last time. They went out of their way and also autographed with personal notes a book for me. No email could have conveyed that feeling.

 
At September 17, 2007 at 3:45 PM, Blogger Joshua said...

Liz, that had to have been a great experience... I on the other had spent the better part of my last Friday getting bounced around AT&T Customer Service to find out that my problem was minimal and required approximately 15 seconds to remedy.

I happen to agree with Sarah. We need to find a happy medium between technology and human interaction. The companies and individuals that still value the human element (sorry, DOW Chemical) are a welcome surprise.

 
At September 18, 2007 at 12:39 PM, Blogger Martin Ryder said...

This all reminds me of the 7 Reasons the 21st Century is Making Us Miserable.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home