Monday, September 17, 2007

Tim_5

After reading chapter 5 it is pretty evident that this book is intended for people interested in business communications. The whole idea of using a story to influence people is beat into the reader’s head over and over.
I will definitely pay attention the next time a salesman tries to win me over with a story in order to make me buy something. It is almost manipulative.
I am beginning to see what other class members have pointed out, that Simmons does a good job of not being committed. She does it again saying, “The only fact we can trust is ‘We don’t know.’”
It does make sense though, that if you want to influence someone it is best to go after their self interests.
Coming from a television background is am familiar using stories inform, in the case of news, or entertain. If I were in sales, I suppose I could relate more to the idea of persuading or influencing with my stories.
I think I also like stories that are entertaining or enlightening.
Eric Kehe is a photojournalist at KUSA in Denver and a former photographer of the year. I once told him that I felt manipulated because most of his stories made me cry. They are some of the best stories and I am glad I was able to experience them. Catharsis aside, I think I enjoy laughing instead.
Instead of manipulating, I might have just been influenced to cry?
I’ll watch Eric’s stories a little more careful from now on. I’ll also read the rest of this book wondering how Simmons is trying to influence me. I already bought the book, what’s next?

Labels:

1 Comments:

At September 17, 2007 at 12:47 PM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

Yes, your foreshadowing comes to fruition even stronger in a chapter yet to come. In it Simmons relentlessly prizes ambiguity. Which I understand to an extent but without a moral it isn't a "morals" story etc. Maybe she likes teter totters and we are just exploring one seat or the other on the ride.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home