Monday, October 8, 2007

Jessie_8_I

I tend to have some song going constantly in my head. My life seriously has it's own soundtrack, its neat. There's this song called Little Wonders by Rob Thomas that stopped me in my tracks the first time I heard it. This chapter made me think of a line in the song.

Let it slide,
Let your troubles fall behind you
Let it shine
Until you feel it all around you
And I don't mind
If it's me you need to turn to
We'll get by,
It's the heart that really matters in the end

Everyone needs someone to talk to every once in a while and more often than not they need someone to talk to that understands what they're going through. You can pay a therapist to listen to your problems, they might even offer some helpful advice. Usually, though, they aren't in a position to really understand what it is you need to talk about. So what do you do? You go looking for a friend, a collegue, a significant other or even your mom (guilty on that one). But if you notice, they number of people you have to turn to when you need someone to listen is pretty closely related to the number of people in your life that you are willing to listen to when they need it. Does that mean that everyone you ever listen to is going to be that receptive when you need to talk? No, not in the slightest, sometimes not at all. There isn't an exact formula to quid pro quo that says someone owes you for the time you spend listening and sometimes people have enough of their own problems without taking on yours as well. Then what can you do? You do what you can to let people know that they can open up to you when they need to. You listen, you offer to help, you let them see they can trust you. You let them know that you really don't mind if they need to turn to you and you mean it. You take a chance and listen, not with any expectation of return, but with the hope that when you need to be heard someone will return the favor.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At October 8, 2007 at 10:21 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

reminds me of that commercial on right now, when the person seeing something done nice for someone, does something nice for someone else, at which the person see it happen and etc.

 
At October 9, 2007 at 10:28 AM, Blogger Martin Ryder said...

Rob Thomas? Seriously? I couldn't "listen" to the rest of your post after that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home