Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Sarah_10_I

I guess my mind was wandering this morning when I read the following passage, “His story and his ability to convince others of his story was a primary tool of Hitler’s influence. Even when he blatantly distorted facts, the emotional content of his message mesmerized his listeners. It is frightening example of how story can trump facts.”

I realize this was about Hitler, and not really related to my idea, but I got there somehow… Anyway: So I was thinking about the controversy of books vs. movies and which gives a more powerful story. (See it’s KIND OF related) Personally, I’ve always been on the side of read the book first, then see the movie. I think that if you see the movie first, or don’t even read the book at all, you are cheating yourself. If you don’t have the opportunity to imagine the story in your own mind, you are missing out on so much. Take for example, the Harry Potter phenomenon. I love the books. I think they’re an amazing piece of literature for children, and their imaginations can go wild. I think it’s a shame when some children (and adults) watch the movies first, then consider themselves Harry Potter fans. I’ve seen the movies, and they are very similar to the books. Well, the first three or four are. However, when I see the movies, there are so many things that surprise me because that’s not how I pictured them. The further along the movies get, the further they stray from the books. This is understandable, because the books are so long.

I grew up loving to read. Before I could read, my parents read to me every night. I feel bad for people who did not grow up with this love of reading. I feel that they’ve almost been “cheated” somehow, and they’ve missed out on an opportunity to use their imagination.

Labels:

4 Comments:

At October 23, 2007 at 9:27 AM, Blogger Graffanino said...

I totally agree with you, Sarah. I am also a huge Harry Potter fan and it is so much better to read the books! I've read a pretty fair amount of books that have become movies (some really good, some down-right terrible). Though there may be a rare case to the contrary, in my experience, reading the book is so much better.

 
At October 23, 2007 at 9:33 AM, Blogger BP said...

Yes, I agree that people may be cheating themselves of another person's viewpoint of a story by not reading the book.

But are they really missing anything?

I would be content with the images and sound that a movie gives me.

I do agree that if I were on Sarah's side of the argument that I would see people like myself as a "front-runner" for the book/movie... not a "true" fan.

 
At October 23, 2007 at 3:37 PM, Blogger irantoni said...

I read the Jurassic Park book and later watched the movie.....I WAS DISAPPOINTED!!! Everybody was telling how awesome the film is etc.etc. but for me it was mutilated! Later I was able to appreciate the film more (I really like the film now!!) because I could see it as what it is: a movie! I was able to separate it from the book.

 
At October 23, 2007 at 7:18 PM, Blogger Sarah Jones said...

I totally agree with you Sarah about the joy of reading and how you should read a book before seeing the movie. I grew up loving to read as well (my parents read to me all the time too). I remember sitting down to read Dolores Claiborne in junior high but I'd already seen the movie and just couldn't make it through the book because there was too much I couldn't visualize for myself without movie images popping up. Books are just so much fun, and typically I'm always in the middle of one at any given time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home