Saturday, October 20, 2007

Tim_10_I

Simmons continues with her advice to use storytelling only for good. In this chapter she says to only tell positive stories. She points out that sometimes negative stories can still be influential. It is she says, the best story that will be remembered, good or bad. Her Hitler references were interesting. I supposed that goes along with the notion that those who don’t remember history, are doomed to repeat it.
Beyond the author’s preaching, there are some good points to this chapter. She talks about keeping stories alive, within a family, business or even a culture.
I wish I had taped my grandparents and even my parents to help preserve their stories. Sure I still tell some of them, but I can’t recall every one of them, only the more memorable ones. Hopefully my sons will be able to recall some of my memories for their children too.
Simmons provides more usefulness with her six ways to help generate story ideas. I am considering adapting that list to spark news story ideas for NewsLink Indiana.
Near the end, Simmons sounds like a prophet and storytelling is the religion. When she presents live, I wonder if there are people yelling “Hallelujahs” from the audience?

Labels:

2 Comments:

At October 21, 2007 at 7:45 PM, Blogger Chad said...

One of the most useful projects of my undergraduate career involved my taping interviews with my parents and grandmother.

The project, called "Born Into History," was part of a social justice class.

My professor, whom I understand is still raising hell at Ohio University, wanted us to get a sense that our story did not begin with our birth and will not end with our death.

I still have the tapes from those interviews.

 
At October 23, 2007 at 1:45 PM, Blogger Martin Ryder said...

It it kind of sad to not have the stories of my grandparents preserved. Only my maternal grandmother is alive now. I also don't really know the stories of my parents. I always got bored as a kid when they would start talking about their lives.

For instance, I have no idea how my parents started dating and how they got engaged. No idea at all.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home