Monday, August 27, 2007

Joshua__CHAPTER_1&2__Q

These first two chapters by Simmons reminded me of something that was said to me this summer. It was during my "California Odyssey" and I was explaining to a realtor what I'm doing in graduate school; that I'm studying digital storytelling. After I made my, now well rehearsed, spiel he simply replied, "Oh, your just a really good salesman." I was astounded by the simplicity of his remark.

After reflection I realized he was right. We are, simply put, "really good salesmen." We have not only the narrative skills necessary to create a great pitch; pitch being anything from a documentary to a website, but we also have the technical skills to bring the pitch, or sale, to life.

Simmons reflects this notion by talking about authenticity and convincing listeners that we are worthy of their trust. I guess what separates digital storytelling from traditional storytelling, and sales, is the lack of face to face contact, or the oral culture. Building trust and establishing authenticity, at least to me, seem to be harder to accomplish digitally.

For the sake of us all enhancing our skills as modern salespeople...
What are some effective ways to create trust or generate authenticity digitally?

Labels:

1 Comments:

At August 27, 2007 at 5:02 PM, Blogger Luke said...

The idea of selling ourselves is overdone. When we go into an interview, are trying to get a bid for a job, or persuade anyone to do anything I think the best thing we can do is be human. Too often we get caught up in what we are doing and forget to make a connection with another human being. It's in these instances our humanity is compromised and we become merely salesmen.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home