Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Brian_4_Q

I think it all comes down to tone for me. I think, at least a lot of the time, I attempt to influence with tone alone yet I'm not very good at it. I know a lot of people think I'm cocky but often times I'm trying to inspire rivalry or competition because I work best in a competitive atmosphere. Other times my tone is influenced less by the situation at hand but rather something happening in the background.

When I'm pissed at my cat for using his razor blade set to rip open his food bag and pouring it all over the room...I often carry that emotion into other situations. Yesterday is a prime example; that little shit spread the food all over the extra bedroom because I wouldn't give him his second 'snack' of the day knowing his full meal was only 4-5 hours away. I woke up, saw the mess, and it set my mood for the rest of the day. My tone responded by being short and authoritarian...exactly the mood I didn't want to portray but my subconscious held onto it so tightly that I couldn't get away. Perhaps if I used the example that Simmons does in saying to my cat in a sweet, high, sing-songish voice, "oh Aristotle, you fat little bastard..." and letting the emotions around cool to the same tone. He probably would have liked it more than me yelling and chasing him and it would have kept me out of my fight/flight mindset. (I almost need to sleep after an F/F situation because it drives my mood the rest of the day...)

So my question, what's the best way to adjust my mood to make my tone sound genuine? Or should I really care?...because a lot of the time I dont.

Labels:

4 Comments:

At September 11, 2007 at 1:44 PM, Blogger Martin Ryder said...

Well, I do believe that they have medication for people like you. People who get irrationally angry at cats. And then go around yelling at everybody else.

 
At September 11, 2007 at 1:53 PM, Blogger kingfish said...

I don't think you have to alter your mood to try to sound genuine... I think you can just be genuine.

Just put a slight humanitarian filter on the words you use. RIGHT MARTIN?? (Mr. "they have medication") ;)

 
At September 11, 2007 at 3:56 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I find best to tell a few people the story of what is upsetting me, and usually they will tell a better "worse" story that easies my anger.

If anything at least your letting our the anger in the story, not letting it effect your entire day.

 
At September 11, 2007 at 4:27 PM, Blogger Luke said...

Practice

 

Post a Comment

<< Home