Tuesday, September 11, 2007

John B_Chapter 4_I

Did anyone else feel like after reading this chapter, that they were 10 years old again learning the fundamentals of story telling? I can understand the importance of this chapter, but I feel like this should've been the first chapter. Up until now, I have been enjoying the read. Annette, in my opinion, really "dumbed" it down. Humans are naturally expressive, and I think a lot of what Simmons talks about in this chapter are learned throughout the early stages in life.

Labels:

5 Comments:

At September 11, 2007 at 12:42 PM, Blogger BP said...

I think it's important to state all the basics about an idea before getting into the more complex aspects about an idea.

I think Simmons is just trying to cover all her bases, so to speak, in an effort to decrease questioning about these aspects later in the book.

 
At September 11, 2007 at 2:01 PM, Blogger Brian Handler said...

I think people don't actively think about their non-verbal...I know I don't. Dr. Joe has called me out on that a few times because I'm just not paying attention to my actions.

Yet when I'm around people I'm obsessed with watching and noting their non-verbal.

In a pro vs con sort of way, non verbal always seems to come back to the middle though and in the end it's the words and actions that make a person.

 
At September 11, 2007 at 2:29 PM, Blogger Martin Ryder said...

It does seem that this chapter is aimed at the more socially retarded of readers.

Move them arms, people! That reminds me of that one Seinfeld episode where Molly Shannon didn't move her arms when she walked. I know a guy that does that. Weirdo.

 
At September 11, 2007 at 4:01 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Yes, but Simmons does need to cover the basics. This makes her more credible as an author.

 
At September 11, 2007 at 4:31 PM, Blogger Luke said...

I kinda feel like the whole book is like that. Simmons does occasionally introduce a new idea, but it's definitely not every chapter.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home