Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Sarah_4_I

This chapter read much like an Introduction to Public Speaking text book: "Gesture, dress the part, body language, etc." I agree that all this does play a vital role in storytelling. However, Simmons' depth seems a little unnecessary. As with the previous chapter, things felt a little drawn out. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I understand her audience to be business people trying to become better in their profession, and I would venture to guess that a majority of business people have taken a course similar to Introduction to Public Speaking. If this is the case, Chapter 4 need only appear as a refresher course rather than a full-on chapter seeming to contain new, vital information. But then again, this could just be my desire for sheer facts that clashes with the writing style of the author. She makes good points, yes, however I desire a more streamlined approach.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At September 11, 2007 at 12:19 PM, Blogger Erik Crosier said...

I agree... I would imagine that business people readily take courses in public speaking, presenting oneself, etc. Some of the information (even to a non-business person) seemed a bit redundant and common sense.

 
At September 11, 2007 at 1:26 PM, Blogger Graffanino said...

She does seem to draw things out from time to time. I think this is just how she goes about writing, she goes into detail about everything and makes sure she covers everything she wants to.

 
At September 11, 2007 at 1:58 PM, Blogger kingfish said...

I agree. I wonder if she does it to try to fill a book, instead of making it an article in Reader's Digest.

Or it could be the storyteller coming out in her. Many stories could be reduced to a one or two sentence paragraph, but the details are what makes them interesting.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home