Monday, September 10, 2007

Just a couple of comments on chapter 4...

Ms. Simmons mentioned early in chapter 4 that she often uses a "Far Side" cartoon to illustrate the importance of preparing, and then orders us to imagine a pile of horses and riders... But she never tells us the actual cartoon. I think I know the one though. For those of us who need closure...




Also, she mentioned that sales people know the value of a good story. If you have a few minutes one day, give Sweetwater Sound a phone call and pretend you want to buy a microphone or something. The sales people there are trained to: 1) Tell you Sweetwater's story, 2) Tell you their own personal story, and 3) Find out YOUR story... ALL BEFORE EVEN GIVING YOU A PRICE FOR THE MIC!

Their reason? They truly believe that they are the absolute best place to buy audio gear, because they hire the best audio engineers in the business to make sure you are getting the exact right microphone for your needs. Some customers even get irate because they simply want to get a price so they can call the next store on their list.

Is Sweetwater the cheapest? No, and they don't claim to be, but they still make millions per year because their story sells, and they have the most loyal customer base because of it. (I am not being paid for this, by the way!)

Labels:

2 Comments:

At September 10, 2007 at 3:24 PM, Blogger Chad said...

I got a a call from some girl at my undergrad school. She identified herself as "Lindsey," or something, and I knew no Lindseys ...

Intrigued, I talked to her on the phone, and after she had gotten my academic story out of me, and given me her own, she asked if I would like to donate to the university.

Hook, line and sinker.

 
At September 11, 2007 at 4:56 PM, Blogger Joshua said...

I have actually bought from Sweetwater before; just a small pre-amp. But my salesperson, I can't remember his name now, for awhile after said purchase would call me up "just to chat." I don't really enjoy that amount of customer attention, but what they've got going on obviously works for them.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home