Monday, October 15, 2007

Brandon_9_Q

“Besides, approaching those we wish to influence from a position of pious superiority creates either resentment or dependence. Both are troublesome.”

I can easily imagine examples in which both reactions from an audience could occur.

But if you can’t appeal to your audience in a manner to make them dependent on you or your services, what is the tactic to be used to sell? Are all salesmen manipulators?

Of course, appealing to your audience by relating to them is necessary. It seems as though people have to be treated with “kid gloves” in order to sell them your product or service. Is this the best way for a salesman to manipulate someone into buying their product/service?

Making them feel dependent on my products/services seems as though it would be a more efficient way to gain business.

Any salesman who tells me that they don’t partake in either of those is lying to him/herself. “My cow just died, and I don’t want your bull.”

Ruthless business ethics?

Labels:

2 Comments:

At October 15, 2007 at 5:36 PM, Blogger Video Storyteller said...

I think that's just where the author was aiming. Afterall it is a business audience and they depend on sales.
The Sales Institute here at Ball State has been trying to change the image many have of the sleazy salesman...Herb Tarlik from the old WKRP TV show...but it is an uphill climb.
I was successful as a kid selling candy to pay my way to a spring break trip to Florida and I was even the president of my JA company, but I don't want to be a salesman.
Storytelling might help you make a sale, but there are just so many people willing to listen and buy what you are selling.

 
At October 15, 2007 at 7:42 PM, Blogger Poker Stroker said...

However, as a storyteller we can never become an ambivolent manipulator. If we use manipulation as a tactic we have to use it responsiblily. Manipulation through positive storytelling can be effective.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home