Monday, October 15, 2007

Erik_9_I

There are a lot of "don'ts" in here... like others have said, this gets almost authoratative to an arrogant level here. I think that perhaps her goals with this chapter could have been achieved with more 'do's" than "don'ts"...

Storytelling is inherently empowering... the storyteller is the one weaving the presentation. The listener is the one listening. Therefore the very act of storytelling is empowering. But I think that this empowerment can get to one's head... it appears as though Simmons may have taken this empowerment to a whole new level by claiming the exact ways one should tell a story.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At October 15, 2007 at 7:39 PM, Blogger Poker Stroker said...

Empowering yes, but it can also be fearfull and terifying for some. Just like any other skill, some have it and some don't. Depending on what side of the coin you are on depends on if storytelling can be empowering.

 
At October 16, 2007 at 5:02 PM, Blogger Martin Ryder said...

I don't know. I've always liked learning through don'ts. I read a book awhile ago called "How Not to Read a Screenplay: 101 Common Mistakes Most Screenwriters Make." I found that format to be much more readable and informative than the "do this" books. After all, in the end, don'ts are just do's worded differently.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home