Sunday, September 16, 2007

Joshua_5_I

My favorite line from Chapter 5 is The good storytellers are the people who are attracted by the mystery of things that "don't make sense" rather than fearing those things. (113)

To the extent that I know all of you in this class I feel like most of us are attracted to these mysteries. I hear people discuss their personal interests, the mysteries that attract them, and I'm always fascinated at the diversity. You would think that being in the same program all of us would line up pretty close, but we don't. And I like that. If anything thing this isn't so much of an idea but a challenge. I don't intend to get too "Lifetime" on all of you, but think of it as a life long challenge.

As some of us venture out into the "real world" for the first time and some of us continue on with careers, let's try not to lose the curiosity that makes us great storytellers. Keep questioning, learning, and exploring. In the end it's this inquisitiveness that separates a dull yarn from an engaging story.

Incidentally, I also really enjoyed, "But, if when you say 'whiskey' you mean the oil of conversation..." (128). Judge Noah Sweat you are wise beyond your years.

1 Comments:

At September 17, 2007 at 9:49 AM, Blogger Sarah Jones said...

Albert Einstein once said, "It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education." With our program, I don't see how curiosity could die. There really are so many different types of people in the program. I think our interactions with each other really keep us fresh and curious. I'll accept the challenge of not losing this when I enter the "real world" where I may be surrounded by people similar to myself. Good thought, Josh.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home