Monday, September 10, 2007

Martin_4_89

For some reason, when I was a kid and I was developing a sense of humor, I went in a very dry direction. Nowadays I don't even realize that I'm doing it. I often make jokes/comments without letting on with my facial expressions. This tends to really confuse people and I often hear, "I can never tell if you're being serious."

So, yeah, Simmons, you're right. Facial expressions are kind of important. But, seriously, if I say something ridiculous, then I'm probably not being serious. I'm probably joking. Why do I have to have a gigantic smile plastered on my face for some people to get that? It's kind of frustrating. If I was a character on a British comedy series, then it would be A-OK. But, alas, I am not. I have too healthy a set of teeth, for one thing.

Labels:

5 Comments:

At September 10, 2007 at 3:33 PM, Blogger Chad said...

I remember a great line from the "V for Vendetta" movie.

Approximately, "Do you joke about everything?"

"Only what really matters."

 
At September 11, 2007 at 11:43 AM, Blogger Graffanino said...

I love it when I am able to pull off a serious face when I say something completely ridiculous! The only thing is I'm not able to do that very often, because I smile or laugh, but it's so worth it when I am able to and can tell the other person has no idea what to say or think. Good times.

 
At September 11, 2007 at 2:06 PM, Blogger Brian Handler said...

You and me both, Martin. I enjoy saying completely serious things about serious matters that I know i'm lying about but I get off to seeing people twist and turn.

Still...it often leads to a smile once I see the other people feel uncomfortable to a certain level. When I drink though, I tell the same off-the-wall comment without adding in a disclaimer of sort.

This is kinda a bad thing but then again I'm kinda heartless.

 
At September 11, 2007 at 5:08 PM, Blogger Joshua said...

Handler you do say some weird things when you drink...

On a serious note, I think Simmons is right on with the non-visual, but I also thing you can add emphasis, but done nothing or the "wrong" non-visual for a comment.

The entire genres of satire and irony are based upon this premise. One can often get away with saying things they shouldn't if they have a grin on their face and everyone around knows it's funny.

I was just thinking, and this is completely unrelated, somehow the Cingular "dropped call" commercials are a perfect example of Chapter 4 applied.

 
At September 11, 2007 at 5:08 PM, Blogger Joshua said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home