Monday, September 10, 2007

Tim_Chapter_4

We just read in chapter 3 how the story weighs more than facts, now we read in chapter 4 how important the presentation can be.
This chapter goes beyond words and ideas to the mechanics of storytelling.
For the most part, I agree that how you tell a story is important, but I am not sure I buy the fact that it is more important than the story. Sure you need to be able to relate to the audience and not be distracting. But I can’t help but think of how many good stories have been told on the radio that would go against Simmons on this one.
I think about Jean Shepherd and the images he wove in the minds of radio listeners. That’s why he had such a great following, he was able to make the listener see, even feel what he was saying.
"This guy was wearing a pair of blue jeans so worn that it looked like he'd built the Union Pacific railroad all on his own..."
The final bit of advice form Simmons on tone is a bit disappointing. She says you shouldn’t try to control your tone, but rather your mood will determine the tone of your voice. Then maybe she should have written about mood instead.
I do like the idea of practicing stories in front of a video camera. That will likely provide more help than any book. At least you might know what to look for after reading this chapter.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At September 10, 2007 at 11:28 AM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

Absolutely, "mood" training is now imperative in undergirding the way you present your story tone. Try this exercise...
Write down 1-30 on a paper. Take your time, fill in each blank with the first thing in your head that is one of these. (choose one theme only)
I regret_____
I love ______
I am thankful for ____

when done. take a long time reading the list outloud, one word at a time. Wait until you can picture what that word evokes on your mind screen...let it change your mood and then say it.
Ask me and I'll review it with you if you try it and tell you some ways to use these to set levels of tone for your next presentation.

 
At September 10, 2007 at 5:28 PM, Blogger Video Storyteller said...

So is this my first acting lesson?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home