Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Brandon_8_I

I wish more “business people” would take into consideration the lessons that this chapter infringes upon us.

I believe that listening is a key to success.

In a problem situation, listening also allows us to map out all the areas of a problem. The opposite of this would be to go into a situation immediately thinking of rebuttals to issues that are occurring.

I have dealt with a number of clients who come into situations thinking “I already know everything you are going to tell me.” If this were true, there would be no need to communicate with them about issues they are having.

Nobody knows everything. Everybody can learn something from everybody.

I was once having a chat with a client of mine who has quite a successful business. I was curious to what his thoughts were on “keys to success.” So I asked him what he tells people and what he has done to get where he is.

His answer: “I listen to people.”

From the book:
“One of our ancient methods is to tell a story begging the listener to say – and to feel – ‘Yes, that is the way it is, or at least that is the way I feel it. You’re not as alone as you thought.’”

I think this quote points out that, in order to communicate positively with somebody, we must be able to relate to them. Relating to a person helps to stifle the ability for negative emotions to occur in a communication situation.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At October 9, 2007 at 3:51 PM, Blogger Sam said...

I totally agree with Brandon's point.
And basically, sometimes listen to colleges or other division you work with is very important.
Sometimes, even listen to someone yelling at you and you know he/she is wrong.
That is a tough part.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home