Tuesday, October 9, 2007

John B_Chpt8_I

This chapter really didn't do much for me. I feel like Simmons is trying to explain and reinforce good listening skills. That's all fine and dandy, but I think that from being a middle child in my family, I have learned a lot of the listening skills that Simmons refers to at a young age. I know we have talked about this in class, about Simmons' writing being geared towards people working in cooperations and big businesses, but reading this chapter really depresses me when thinking ahead about getting a job myself. I don't know if I could work with people who haven't learned the basic listening skills that Simmons writes about. What amazes me is that there are people out there who actually need help in learning how to listen and tell stories. Like we discussed in class, I think all of us in this class are creative people and don't need the same kind of help that CEO's (for example) need when telling a story.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At October 9, 2007 at 12:04 PM, Blogger BP said...

I think with this chapter that Simmon's doesn't expressly come out and say that by "listening" we must also take into consideration what we hear. I think it is more than just "listening."

I also think that some CEO's are great storytellers. To succeed in business, you must be able to relate to people in order to get them to buy your product/service.

 
At October 9, 2007 at 1:48 PM, Blogger Erik Crosier said...

I hadn't thought about it that way... that grown adults working for companies don't have basic listening skills.

Maybe there could be some sort of requisite class on this... at high school or college level? Next to some of the other requisite courses we've all taken, this seems quite practical.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home