Monday, October 15, 2007

Chad_I_9

Once or twice in every chapter, Simmons offers a statement that is so irrevocably true I can't help but read it several times.

In Chapter 9, one of these statements was: "Your curiosity about whomever you wish to influence is the cornerstone of your ability to hold another's interest."

She's so right on. And for this reason I sometimes feel bothered while reading. If Simmons is so capable of making lucid statements, I think to myself, why doesn't she do it more often? Why must she pad each insight with pages of filler?

Then I wonder if she's not just pulling one over on all of us. This woman has the wherewithal not only to pilot herself through a successful career as a consultant; she's also published a book on the subject.

Maybe she believes that every story has the same construction outlined above: There is a kernel of truth surrounded by fluff, and it's up to the listener or reader to sort the treasure from the trash.

My literature professors used to tell me not to try getting inside the author's head. But in this case I have to wonder.

This post is late.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At October 15, 2007 at 10:06 PM, Blogger Joshua said...

I think you're spot on with this post. Almost every story is fluff and filler that the storyteller leads the audience through to get to the point. If you think about it in terms of comedy, every story has a punch-line, so to speak. The key to good storytelling is to be great at guiding the listener to the filler and giving them the correct amount to get the point across.

I also agree that she makes some very insightful, albeit very randomly placed, comments. Maybe she smokes peyote?

 
At October 16, 2007 at 7:34 AM, Blogger Video Storyteller said...

I am almost expecting the last line of the book to be, "And that's when I woke up."
Not that it was all a dream, but maybe a ruse.

 
At October 16, 2007 at 3:09 PM, Blogger Brian Handler said...

This post is late...don't tell jessie ann or she'll spew anger all over you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home