Monday, October 15, 2007

Kyle_9_I

I found most of this chapter to be common sense, however unfortunatly it may not be common sense for some. Simmons talks about some typical pitfalls of storytelling like talking too much about yourself, being superior, using a "storytelling voice". I think we all have see or heard these styles or done them ourselves. One of the issues is a storyteller that tells stories the way they write. Writting and public speaking share a unique relationship. You can write for public speaking, but you cannot speak the way you write. I have heard plenty of boring speakers because they read a script word for word, or spoke the way you would expect a written narrative to sound. The issue here is that as a speaker you need to react to an audience and use both your energy and your audiences energy to enhance your story.

Also I really liked the line at the end when she says, "Cynicism and apathy are simply defences against hope." This is so true and I have a co-woker who uses this almost everyday. It is interesting to me to use cynicism and to be fearfull of hope. Hope is what drive you, hope is what motivates, hope is a unique human emotion.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At October 16, 2007 at 4:26 PM, Blogger Graffanino said...

I totally know where you are coming from on the boring speakers part. The difference between a poor speaker and a great speaker saying the same thing is amazing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home