Monday, October 15, 2007

Chad_9_Q

Simmons writes: "Guru-itis is very seductive. The danger of developing a cult of followers is that your success risks excluding the 'thinking' public."

American cults seem to attract followers that the "thinking" public regard as schmucks. Despite the violence of the Manson Family and the weirdness of Heaven's Gate, most people probably consider the typical cult follower and think, "Gee, you must be a schmuck on some level."

A cult leader demands a one-way channel of communication. He dictates, and the followers listen. Simmons suggests this is not true influence. Real influence, she writes, is a collaborative process.

Has anyone ever met a person who, if not the leader of a wacky-ass cult, demanded a one-way channel of communication?

This post is also late.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At October 15, 2007 at 10:01 PM, Blogger Joshua said...

I acknowledge the lateness of this post, and forgive you... I too was late.

Now on to business... my high school swim coach demanded nothing less than a one way channel of communication. I got a kick board thrown at me because I wanted to go to student council (Martin, I know your thinking of commenting, just let it ride). I guess in a way my coach was a one-man cult. He was so wrapped up in his chlorine hazed world that he didn't listen to anyone else and assumed that everyone agreed with his view of the world.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home