Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Brian_8_I

Ok before I go into my blog, one of Simmon's first line from the chapter reads:

"New ideas need room to grow. When old beliefs crowd new ideas out, the new ones wither and die."
Reminds me of a great Homer Simpson quote:
"And how is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?"

One more pop culture reference was about 6 lines down from the last. Simmon's relates a question she posed to one of her groups about the definition of listening. Her client responds, "Listening is waiting for my turn to talk." If this doesn't remind anyone of Fight Club I'd be surprised. "Why do you do it?" "Cause when people think you're about to die they really listen instead..." "Instead of just waiting for their turn to talk."

Enough.

Good chapter, probably one of the better ones actually. I try really hard to listen to folks but I'm so distracted and ADD that I kinda suck at it. When it is an important conversation, especially with a girlfriend...I do listen really well. I can always tell that the other person appreciates it so I just do it naturally now. But when people are being sarcastic or talking when I'm in the middle of work I just say 'oh yeah' or 'uhh that sucks'.

Perhaps I need to find a happy medium.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At October 9, 2007 at 12:38 PM, Blogger Brian Handler said...

It wasn't until Homer got his jaw wired shut did he learn to listen. He did so well that it eventually burned Marge out because there was no excitement in the house...so she participates in a demolition derby.

 
At October 9, 2007 at 1:38 PM, Blogger Erik Crosier said...

... and I forgot how to drive?"

Marge: "You were drunk!"

Homer: "And how."

 
At October 9, 2007 at 3:19 PM, Blogger Graffanino said...

Isn't it amazing how often the sayings or lessons of the well-educated, published, etc. can also be found in pop culture that is seemingly the complete opposite of well-educated?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home